desktoptojson and list properties / i18n of JSON files

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Nov 20 09:36:20 GMT 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 19. November 2014, 18:46:28 schrieben Sie:
> > So again, what is necessary to get this done?
>
> First step is to make kdevelop in kf5 translatable using the "normal" po
> files,
> then let's talk about json translation:
>
> * KDevelop has 20 translation catalogs, but none of them is used (no
> setApplicationDomain call, no TRANSLATION_DOMAIN defintion)
>
> * KDevelop uses ki18n (XGETTEXT) and qt5_wrap_ui. That is broken, a ki18n
> based system has to use ki18n_wrap_ui
>
> * KDevelop has 9 .rc files, 6 of them do not belong to an application with
> KLocalizedString::setApplicationDomain call, therefore these 6 rc files
> need a
> translationDomain definition of the corresponding translation catalog in
> the
> header.
>
> * KDevplatform has 32 translation catalogs, but only one add_definitions(-
> DTRANSLATION_DOMAIN=\"kdevplatform\") line in the top level CMakeLists
> file ->
> translations in 31 catalogs are not used.
>
> * KDevplatform uses ki18n (XGETTEXT) and qt5_wrap_ui. That is broken, a
> ki18n
> based system has to use ki18n_wrap_ui
>
> * KDevplatform has 21 .rc files, none of them belongs to an application
> with a
> KLocalizedString::setApplicationDomain call, therefore all of them need a
> translationDomain definition of the corresponding translation catalog in
> the
> header.
>
> --
> Burkhard Lück

Hi Burkhard,
While I appreciate your research on the list of things we are doing wrong,
I think this is completely out of place. KDE is clearly relying on a
half-baked technology that must be either fixed or get a replacement.
That's what Milian is saying here. In fact, the current situation is so
broken we can't adopt the technology (KPluginMetaData).

The fact that you point out that we have also other problems to fix, while
Milian is annoying you by offering to help for the greater good is odd.

Aleix