Pushing AppStream upstream metadata to KDE repositories...?

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Sat May 10 18:42:49 BST 2014

> Matthias Klumpp ha scritto:
>> Therefore, I would like to ask for feedback on the following proposal:
>>  * We announce the availability of the new metadata somewhere, so that
>> the individual maintainers know that the data is coming, and that they
>> may want to take a look at it when it landed in their Git master
>> branch.
>>  * I simply go ahead and commit the files to the respective repos.
>> Since it's just data, it shouldn't break anything.
>>  * Others adjust the initially commited files as they wish. There is a
>> quick reference at [2], for those who want to add more data or change
>> something.
>>  * I'll help with any questions regarding that, of course ;-) - if
>> someone doesn't want this, the project can simply opt-out before, or
>> revert the commit (but I don't see any reason for doing that, unless
>> if someone doesn't want the application to be found ^^).
>
> So, I'm just one of the many contributors, but I would say that you can start
> with step1 (publish the sample files somewhere).
That has already been done on my Freedesktop page, but I pushed the
files to a Git repository on Github just minutes ago:
 https://github.com/Ximion/kde-appstream-metadata-templates
These files need careful integration, which I would do for the
projects (of course, any help with that is highly appreciated!)

>> Would something like that be okay?
>> And: What is the license of texts about applications published on
>> KDE.org? Can I simply use a permissive license like CC0 (needed in
>> order to mix the texts in the distribution later) for them, or is
>> there an explicit license specified somewhere? (I wasn't able to find
>> information about that)
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy
Of course I know that page ;-) But can I asume that this data is
documentation, and therefore licensed under FDL? It's not mentioned
explicitly...

>> P.S: As a more general question: What makes a KDE project? Do we have
>> some guidelines for all projects which they have to follow in order to
>> be under the KDE umbrella, or are we more like a Github for Qt
>> projects nowadays?
>> In case there are guidelines, we might want to add "has AppStream
>> metadata" to them in future (when more projects have that data).
>>
> Everything hosted on kde.org is a KDE project. More generally, a KDE project
> is a project which adheres to:
> http://manifesto.kde.org/
Yeah, but the Manifestor is describing shared values. It is not a
technical requirement. In theory, the whole GNOME project could join
KDE under these circumstances ;-)
Cheers,
    Matthias