Compatibility problems with latest GTK+ applications

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu May 8 13:56:01 BST 2014

On Thursday, May 08, 2014 14:39:49 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> However, to support the cross-desktop efforts, the GNOME people should
> maybe make a few compromises (e.g. make GTK+ behave differently on
> other DEs), especially since GTK+ is not just for GNOME but also used
> by other projects.

This is actually at the root of all these problems. The GTK developers have at
some point decided to couple the toolkit with the GNOME desktop, so GTK is --
in their view -- the toolkit for GNOME. It seems, the developers lost interest
in keeping their cross-platform and cross-desktop promise. This is visible in
other areas as well, such as theming: Theming APIs have been unstable and
changed will-nilly for some time now, and the revolt of theme creators has
calmed down by now (I suppose they all just walked away). I suppose this CSD
episode will just speed up this exodus.

We might be looking at a completely different GTK here than we did a few years
ago, and that's pretty bad news for interoperability on the freedesktop.

Cheers,
--
sebas