Compatibility problems with latest GTK+ applications

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu May 8 13:39:49 BST 2014

> Martin GräßlinOn Wednesday 07 May 2014 10:11:37  wrote:
>> Any advice on how to handle this situation is appreciated.
>
> As several people responded that I should report the issues I just did that
> and reported the following bug reports against GTK:
>
> * CSD styled windows don't react on compositing changes [1]
> * Double decorated windows [2]
> * CSD styled windows do not detect when re-parented to a decoration [3]
> * CSD context menu ignores _NET_ALLOWED_ACTIONS [4]
> * CSD context menu doesn't use _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES [5]
> * CSD context menu doesn't honor _NET_DESKTOP_LAYOUT [6]
> * Shadow included in CSD window [7]
> * Window "disappears" when middle clicking client side decoration [8]
> * Missing maximize and minimize buttons in client side decoration [9]
> * Decoration buttons do not follow custom specified layout in desktop
> environment [10]
> * A hung GTK application cannot be closed [11]
> * Context menu on window decoration is not the one of the environment [12]
> * No time based drag delay on window moving [13]
> * No drag delay on window resize [14]
That is pretty great, thank you for taking the time! Some of these
things unfortunately are design-decisions by GNOME, which I raised in
IRC discussions a while ago, and where I think the interest is pretty
low for fixing them (after getting some feedback on e.g. the CSD
menus).
However, to support the cross-desktop efforts, the GNOME people should
maybe make a few compromises (e.g. make GTK+ behave differently on
other DEs), especially since GTK+ is not just for GNOME but also used
by other projects.
Let's see what happens :-)
Cheers,
   Matthias