KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun May 4 17:36:08 BST 2014

[Cross posting against my will...]

On Sunday 04 May 2014 16:27:44 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> I understand that the big concern was about the testing: stable branches did
> not receive the same attention

This is not the main concern.

My main concern is that application developers prefer to work around bugs in
KF5 (previously: kdelibs) rather than fix things at the right level, because
"fixes in KF5 will only be available in 6 months, and I want the bug fixed
now".

Your suggestion (6-months "stable" release) brings us back to exactly that.

We'd like to try something better. Monthly small increments.
Never "big" changes that break things, they get cut into small increments too.
So no reason to buffer changes for 6 months.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5