kqmlgraphplugin -- a QML plugin to render beautiful and interactive graphs

Percy Camilo TriveƱo Aucahuasi percy.camilo.ta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 21:06:58 GMT 2014

Hi Sebastian,

On 28/01/14 05:51, Sebastian Gottfried wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> I don't want to start a naming bikeshed so if it is already too late
>> to consider renaming, just dismiss these comments:
> No, that's still okay. Nothing is set in stone yet.
>>
>> The first thing I thought of when I read the name of the plugin is
>> that it did graph rendering, like OGDF QML[0], and I was in desperate
>> need for such a library a couple of months ago. I think graph is
>> confusing for a couple of reasons:
>

>> * There is already a concept of graphs associated to QML, as in QML
>> Graph Scene (which is apparently the most common result I get from
>> searching "QML Graph")
> Never thought about that.
>
>> * In KDE, Rocs deals with Graphs and KmPlot deals with these kinds of
>> graphs. * There is a Qt Charts[1] thing that does something similar.
>>
>> So I would consider renaming this to something with plot/chart.
> I like charts better and would consider renaming it to kqmlchartsplugin. The
> QML import would be 'org.kde.charts' then.
>
> Are there any more opinions on the naming issue?

+1 for the use of chart instead of graph (for ambiguity with Graph
Theory [1]) and instead of plot, since I think the word plot is used
when a math expression is involved (function, inequality, etc.) and
kqmlgraphplugin is more suitable when one needs to render results from
statistical/financial analysis.

Percy

[1] http://planetmath.org/node/33701