kqmlgraphplugin -- a QML plugin to render beautiful and interactive graphs

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jan 28 22:26:58 GMT 2014

El Dissabte, 25 de gener de 2014, a les 12:17:05, Sebastian Gottfried va
escriure:
> Hi everyone,

Hi

> some time ago I was in need for a graphing component for my application
> (KTouch). As the applications UI is done entirely in QML, I was looking for
> an QML component to do so. Since there was no satisfactory of-the-shelf
> solution I decided to implement my own graphs. Currently, the code for
> these graphs lives in the KTouch repository in is distributed alongside
> KTouch.
>
> More recently, at the last Edu sprint Andreas Cord-Landwehr approached me,
> because he would like to use the same graphs in his new application,
> artikulate.
>
> So we decided to split the graphing code out of KTouch and develop it in an
> independent project. This was pretty simple, since technically the code was
> already a plugin, only bundled with KTouch. That way kqmlgraphplugin was
> born.
>
> The goal:
>
> Provide a set of simple components to enable applications with a QML user
> interface to embed clear and visually pleasing graphs for tabular data.
>
> The current state:
>  * we have components to display line and bar graphs
>  * data comes from a QTableModel provided by the client
>  * all code is currently Qt4 / QML 1.1
>  * project is hosted as a KDE Playground Project
>  * GIT-URL: git at git.kde.org:kqmlgraphplugin, kqmlgraphplugin on bugs.kde.org
>
> That's missing:
>  * API documentation

Came here to say this :D

>  * a small demo app
>
> More information on the usage of the components can be found on my blog from
> an old but still accurate entry:
> > http://blog.sebasgo.net/blog/2012/09/26/line-graphs-for-qt-quick/
>
> Andreas and me want to release this project as soon as possible to the
> public, since artikulate depends on this plugin already and can't be
> released before this.
>
> I think the code is pretty stable. It's used inside KTouch without any
> problems since KDE 4.10.
>
> I'm less sure about how the release should be done and there these
> components fits in. Should this plugin be distributed on its own or as part
> of something bigger?

Good, question, at this stage i'd either put it inside the kde-edu "virtual
module" and get it released if with 4.13 and on or put it in extragear-libs
and you care of releasing it yourself.

> And what happens after the Qt5 / QML 2 transistion,
> should this be part the Frameworks 5? I think a lot of applications could
> be interested in such a plugin.

Makes sense to me, you probably want to discuss that in the frameworks mailing
list.

> Also interesting is the question of the wanted dependencies. Currently it
> uses Qt (obviously) and also imports some Plasma components for theme
> integration. I thinks that's no issue for a Qt4-based release, since all
> the QML using KDE applications already depend on Plasma components anyway,
> but for QML 2 it's probably better to get rid of this dependency.

Agreed.

Cheers,
  Albert