Moving Baloo forward

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Jan 29 09:05:01 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-01-29, 09:09:50, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Todd <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about something like what Dolphin has now, where when you drop a file
> > on a removable filesystem or remote drive it pops up the current
> > copy/move/link option, but also has a checkbox (disabled by default buy
> > configurable) to "copy metadata" or "copy tags" or something along those
> > lines?
>
> Well it's a menu, once you select an action, the menu goes away, checkbox
> or not. I imagine there are some ways (hacks?) howto make menu a small sort
> of modal dialog, but then imho it would be better to have "Copy" and "Copy
> with metadata". Oh and the visual clutter it would bring to that simple
> menu...dunno, sounds too complicated imo.

On each copy/move sounds too annoying IMHO.

An alternative approach could be to allow removable media or their volumes to
be marked as "trusted" and only copy metadata onto such media.

For example I have a USB disk sitting on my desk and use it as my main "big"
storage for this laptop (which only has SSD). It is an external drive, so
potentially something that might be connected to a different computer, but I
wouldn't want to be asked for metadata copy permission everytime I copy
something to it.

Actually in this case the "trusted" could even be automatic or opt-out because
the volumes themselves are encrypted.

> What we could do with regards to educating users, is what Google does these
> days - when there's a new feature in any Google product, it shows a little
> bubble shortly explaining what is it about with two buttons - "Okay, got
> it" and "Show me more". I can imagine something similar first time you copy
> a file/open dolphin/some other action. Shown once and never more. Too bad
> if the users misses it though :)

Such hints sound like a very good idea in any case.

Discoverability of new features is something we are not very good at yet. As
an old KDE user I am often amazed what new features are available in programs
I have been using for over a decade because I was never aware when they got
added.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring