Moving Baloo forward

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Tue Jan 28 07:03:54 GMT 2014

Am Freitag, 24. Januar 2014, 15:59:12 schrieb Vadim Zhukov:
> 2014/1/24 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>:
> > On Friday, January 24, 2014 01:24:54 Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> >> in the best case you'll have two totally different codepaths
> >> that you'll have to manage.
> >
> > This should be "worst case", I think. In the best case, there's xattr
> > support, meaning another code path isn't needed.
>
> It's doubtful at least whether xattr support is a good thing, because
> it's too easily gets misused: for example, there were viruses on
> Windows which effectively hidden themselves in NTFS streams. And there
> are personal data leaking issues I've pointed out earlier. But the
> question "xarttrs: to be or not to be everywhere" is totally offtopic,
> because it's what OS developers should decide.

I am against storing metadata in xattrs, but more for personal opinion than
for anything I can express in technical terms. What could be done and which
uses xattrs for what I seem them for is to just store a unique identifier in
the xattrs (e.g. a GUID) which makes it easier to map the file to its metadata
in the database, maybe together with some sort of checksum to detect
modifications. That way no accidential information leak will happen if that
thing is copied elsewhere.

Eike