Splitting kde-workspace and kde-runtime proposal

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Jan 22 17:23:05 GMT 2014

On Tuesday 21 January 2014 12:05:26 Antonis Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> > 1) Create two different groups named plasma-workspace and
> > plasma-desktop like frameworks
> > 2) Split out every component into individual repos
> > 3) Assign repos to the related group.
> >
> > Advantages:
> >
> > 1) Easy to assign maintainer to individual component.
> > 2) If we split only some repos, we can not mark it as part of
> > workspace but this way we can do it.
> > 3) More, may be?
> >
> > That's my humble suggestion. :)
> >
> > > Again, this is a proposal so please! send any feedback you might have.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> I think that splitting each individual component to its own repo might be a
> bit confusing. Because if we don't have two groups (plasma-desktop and
> plasma- workspace), then we will not be able to provide something as a
> standard solution. So each person will consider  "Plasma Desktop" as
> something entirely different.

Note however that it's not a proper argument for splitting repos or not since
nowadays our infrastructure has the concept of grouping independently of the
repos. So we could split in their own repo and still have a way to make a
plasma-desktop and a plasma-workspace group.

OTOH Sebas argument is much more compelling.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net