Splitting kde-workspace and kde-runtime proposal

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Jan 20 19:49:30 GMT 2014

In the plasma sprint we have done a session to plan what we are going to do
with kde-workspace/kde-runtime repositories, here is the proposal we came
with.

We are going to create 2 new repos called plasma-desktop and plasma-workspace,
we decided to use plasma as a prefix so in the future we can have more
workspaces and desktops without being in the awkward situation of having one
wrongly labeled as "KDE" while others are not (thinking on for example having
Razorqt/lxde as part of KDE in the future). Current kde-workspace and kde-
runtime will be kept for history reasons.

plasma-desktop will hold all specific pieces tied to the desktop experience,
for example the touchpadenabler only makes sense on laptops.

plasma-workspace will contain all bits that are generic enough to be of
interest for more than one form factor, for example we need appmenu in both,
tablet and desktop.

Additionally we want to split optional dependencies (kinfocenter for example)
and other projects that are quite big.

Some of the new repositories we want to create are:
powerdevil
kwin
oxygen (containing a full Oxygen experience)
ksysguard
kinfocenter
klipper...

A full list of the proposed new repositories can be found at [1].

Finally some other bits could be merged with some Frameworks, it is the case
for example of solid-hardware and solid-networkstatus that should be moved to
solid.

Again, this is a proposal so please! send any feedback you might have.

Cheers.

[1] http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Tokamak7/split_proposal