Moving Baloo and Baloo-widgets into KDE SC

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Fri Jan 10 09:55:19 GMT 2014

On Thursday 09 Jan 2014 21:52:52 Christoph Feck wrote:
> On Thursday 09 January 2014 13:42:12 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> > Rough Update -
> >
> > The migrator has been written and tested for files. The tags,
> > rating, comments and indexing configuration are properly migrated.
>
> Is this a one-time migration, or continuous migration? In other words,
> if a user tags a file using an "unported" application, will he be able
> to integrate that data into an already migrated data base?

It's a one time migration.

> We have no idea what custom applications a user may use to tag files
> and later expects to find these tags using all other applications.

Then that user will be part of the 1% that has a sub-par experience in
comparison to the 99% who are going to be much much happier in a world where
virtuoso is not hogging up their CPU. I prefer concentrating on the most
common use cases.

> > Considering that certain applications are still going to continue
> > using Nepomuk for sometime. The plan is to move most of
> > kde-runtime/nepomuk into its own repository which distributions
> > can then choose to ship.
> >
> > The tags and timeline kioslave will be renamed to nepomuk-tags and
> > nepomuk- timeline respectively. This is being done to avoid
> > breaking the user experience, as 99% of the users will be
> > migrating to Baloo and will expect their tag/timline related
> > bookmarks to work as they did before.
> >
> > With this I feel that distributions that think Nepomuk is still a
> > priority can ship the nepomuk-runtime repository which will allow
> > users to enable Nepomuk and use it.
> >
> > Unless, someone still has objections I'll request a new repository
> > for nepomuk-runtime, and ask the system admins to move baloo into
> > kdesc.
>
> I hope that we will be able to completely remove the Nepomuk API for
> the frameworks releases, and only use Baloo, because I trust you that
> Baloo offers better performance than Nepomuk.

I haven't decided what we want to do with Nepomuk & Frameworks. I don't see
the point of porting it.

> But if the above scenario does not work, we should probably not
> introduce Baloo for KDE SC 4.x.

We'll have the same problem with KF5. Not all applications will immediately
port to Qt5 and KF5, and some might just continue to use Nepomuk and not move
to Baloo.

--
Vishesh Handa