Moving Baloo and Baloo-widgets into KDE SC

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Thu Jan 9 20:52:52 GMT 2014

On Thursday 09 January 2014 13:42:12 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Rough Update -
>
> The migrator has been written and tested for files. The tags,
> rating, comments and indexing configuration are properly migrated.

Is this a one-time migration, or continuous migration? In other words,
if a user tags a file using an "unported" application, will he be able
to integrate that data into an already migrated data base?

We have no idea what custom applications a user may use to tag files
and later expects to find these tags using all other applications.

> Considering that certain applications are still going to continue
> using Nepomuk for sometime. The plan is to move most of
> kde-runtime/nepomuk into its own repository which distributions
> can then choose to ship.
>
> The tags and timeline kioslave will be renamed to nepomuk-tags and
> nepomuk- timeline respectively. This is being done to avoid
> breaking the user experience, as 99% of the users will be
> migrating to Baloo and will expect their tag/timline related
> bookmarks to work as they did before.
>
> With this I feel that distributions that think Nepomuk is still a
> priority can ship the nepomuk-runtime repository which will allow
> users to enable Nepomuk and use it.
>
> Unless, someone still has objections I'll request a new repository
> for nepomuk-runtime, and ask the system admins to move baloo into
> kdesc.

I hope that we will be able to completely remove the Nepomuk API for
the frameworks releases, and only use Baloo, because I trust you that
Baloo offers better performance than Nepomuk.

But if the above scenario does not work, we should probably not
introduce Baloo for KDE SC 4.x.

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)
KDE Quality Team