KDE Frameworks: Moving toward 5.0 final and Governance

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Tue Jan 7 22:52:45 GMT 2014

On 07/01/14 22:30, John Layt wrote:
> Running through the print dialog features, I'm don't think there is
> anything left to be upstreamed.  There's a couple of very minor CUPS
> features in the dialog that I don't think anyone uses (mirror page,
> page border, page label) that I don't really want in Qt, but can add
> if anyone really makes a fuss.  If we decide to replace KPrintPreview
> with QPrintPreviewDialog then we're just left with the convenience api
> to create a QPrintDialog that won't actually add anything extra.  That
> could be still worth keeping for a couple of reasons, but it could
> then move to KGuiAddons.  The main reason to keep it is
> future-proofing if we need to add common widgets or extra checks
> again, in particular I think it may be the only way to do
> color-managed printing until Qt adds proper support in QtGui.

If these additions are something that applications would need to be
aware of, I see no issue with creating a wrapper class or some such
as-and-when we find a use for one.

If they are something that would be hidden to applications, would you
consider having platform integration hooks in QPrinter for that sort of
thing?

Alex