KDE Frameworks: Moving toward 5.0 final and Governance

Michal Humpula michal.humpula at seznam.cz
Tue Jan 7 22:30:29 GMT 2014

On Tuesday 07 of January 2014 23:10:11 John Layt wrote:
> On 7 January 2014 19:55, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't remember, but looking at email archives and Qt docs, it looks
> >> like that probably was the reason; I think we started KDE4 depending on
> >> Qt 4.3, and QPrintPreview was added in 4.4.
> >
> > And the underlying tech is totally different too, KPrintPreview prints to
> > pdf and then shows the preview in an okular part while QPrintPreview does
> > a totally different thing.
>
> I've mostly avoided looking at QPrintPreviewDialog so far (bad
> maintainer!), but it is basically another paint device you paint to
> when requested, using exactly the same painting code as you would for
> normal printing, or printing the preview to PDF.  In theory it should
> be better than KPrintPreview as it only asks you to render the pages
> it needs as it needs them, rather than pre-rendering the whole
> document like KPrintPreview does, and it doesn't need the Okular KPart
> installed to work either.  I think some apps like Calligra already
> prefer to use it for those reasons (that and zander being the original
> author).  It wouldn't work for use inside Okular though, but then it
> always seems a little weird to do a print preview in Okular to just
> get an Okular window again :-)
>
> I'll do a more in-depth investigation and come back to the list to
> make a decision.

If I may post a little input here. I've implemented print preview in kate
(KF5) with QPrintPreviewDialog, mainly for the reasons mentioned above. But
what I'm missing is ability to add custom configuration tabs as in
KdePrint::createPrintDialog. Though KPrintPreview doesn't seems to support
them either:-)

Cheers
Michal