KDE Frameworks: Moving toward 5.0 final and Governance

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Tue Jan 7 17:10:10 GMT 2014

On 6 January 2014 07:52, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:

> I urge everyone, and in particular people volunteering to maintain a
> framework, to do a pass of review of our code base and APIs to modernize them
> when appropriate. It is a very big task, and in no way can be coordinated in
> the way we've been working so far. Maintainers will be a crucial part of a
> successful code quality review, which leads me to the governance...

> The current list of modules is there:
> http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/List
>
> As you can see there's quite some holes in the table, and quite a few entries
> marked unmaintained. KDE Frameworks as a set of technologies will only be
> taken seriously if we get something more complete there. I urge everyone with
> an interest in KDE Frameworks to step up, look at that list and volunteer to
> maintain a framework. If you volunteer, know that the following will be
> expected from you:
>  1) Complete in the table the information regarding your framework;
>  2) Do an API review and modernization pass in your framework (possibly with
> the help of others);

I've put myself down (rather obviously) for KPrintUtils.  Most of the
dialog code from there has been merged into Qt5.2, or is planned for
Qt 5.3, so needs deleting.  I'm also wondering if we still need our
own KPrintPreview dialog, there was a reason in 4.0 but I can't
remember why now and I'm not sure it is still valid.  Alex Merry might
remember, was it because QPrintPreview wasn't available at the time?
We may not end up with much left here :-)

If the original author Petri Damstén doesn't step up, I could take on
KUnitConversion, seeing as I'm partly familiar with the code.

Cheers!

John.