Lokalization for KDE AppStream AppData files

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Feb 25 21:22:36 GMT 2014

> On Tuesday, 2014-02-25, 21:36:27, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> El Dimarts, 25 de febrer de 2014, a les 21:15:36, Matthias Klumpp va
> escriure:

>> > Only developers should have to edit that file - translators will
>> > translate the po file which is used by itstool/intltool to translate
>> > the XML. And I consider developers to be smart enough to edit the
>> > source-file and not the generated one (print a warning somewhere might
>> > be a good idea anyway...)
>>
>> You're overestimating people.
>>
>> > Itstool has a nice summary of the workflow described here:
>> > http://itstool.org/documentation/basic-usage/
>>
>> I don't care about that, we have a workflow, if your tool doesn't support
>> our worflow, your tool is wrong.
If that is your final statement, I will write the AppData
recommendation without any translation support for KDE. There is no
tool available which does what you want, and I can't take the task to
write one (I also consider it useless, but that's unrelated).
Having untranslated AppData is better than no AppData.

> It seems the tools available from other communities with similar needs do not
> match our needs closely enough.
> We'll probably have to create a tool that fits our needs then.
That would work, ov course :-)
Cheers,
    Matthias