Moving Baloo forward

GEO 1g2e3o4 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 09:37:04 GMT 2014

On Friday, February 21, 2014 07:55:39 PM Thiago Macieira wrote:

> > > Use an encrypted filesystem. :)

It is not about using an encrypted file system, but about encrypted metadata
when you copy to an external drive or share the file over dropbox etc.
If the tags, ratings etc. are encrypted strings your metadata would be safe.

> > That's a solution for a different problem. The problem in discussion
> > is when you copy a file (perhaps to an unencrypted pendrive) unaware
> > that you're also copying xattrs/metadata. Encrypting your main
> > filesystem doesn't help with that.
>
> Is the metadata any more sensitive than the data itself? If you're copying a
> file to an unencrypted filesystem, then the data is no longer secure.

You could a share a document not containing any personal information (a third
party document stored on your hdd), but the comments or tags could contain
information you do not want to share with others.

Another question I could not find answered in the wiki: Is semantic information
also stored in file attributes? (e.g. received from ....), or does semantic
information still rely on a database?