[Kde-pim] Problems with infrastructure

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Dec 20 12:42:28 GMT 2014

El Dissabte, 20 de desembre de 2014, a les 02:08:53, Kevin Kofler va escriure:
> Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 16:12:05 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> >> For deleting branches, I think we can allow this - given some
> >> protection for certain branches (like the KDE/* branches for
> >> instance). Note that courtesy of the backup functionality in our
> >> hooks, no branch or tag is ever truly deleted from a repository on
> >> git.kde.org. I don't know how easy it would be to alter this behaviour
> >> based on the account name of the developer.
> >
> > What I would find helpful, concretely:
> > - being allowed to delete "own" branches
> > - force push for "own" branches since I could delete and recreate a
> > branch, I
> >
> >   may just as well directly be allowed to force-push, this makes it a bit
> >   easier to keep branches as clean as possible
> >
> > where "own" means "branchname starts with username/", for example
> > "sebas/hacking".
>
> Why can't we just allow delete and force-push of all branches for all KDE
> contributors? Hasn't it always been KDE policy that contributors are trusted
> not to do stupid things? Why do we need to enforce this through technical
> restrictions?

Yes, we trust contributors not to do stupid things, but there's a big gap
between that and letting people delete master branches of projects, we already
had those safe-guards in svn and having them in git makes sense too.

It's not that we think people is evil or stupid, it's just that we all make
mistakes and it is easier to put some basic safety checks instead having to do
all the work of recovering some very important branch that got deleted.

Cheers,
  Albert