[Kde-pim] Problems with infrastructure

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 12 10:27:24 GMT 2014

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 23.23:59 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dijous, 11 de desembre de 2014, a les 07:48:51, Aaron J. Seigo va
escriure:
> > individual learning curves is just not very attractive when Github sits
> > there shiny and usable.
>
> and siloed and non-free.

Indeed, and unfortunately not enough people care about that.

> > other drawbacks. Those drawbacks probably don't matter as much. If they
> > did, github wouldn't be thriving quite as much as it does.
>
> is it thriving in our target audience?

If the target audience for KDE's git infrastructure is "developers": yes.
Overwhelmingly yes. Especially younger developers and people new to the OSS
scene; it seems to be the first contact with public source code repos for
many, many people these days.

Qt developers? Yes, again. Nearly 13,000 repos mention Qt in their name. Many,
many more use Qt (I've grabbed a few such projects that use Qt but mention it
nowhere in the project name or description ...)

KDE developers? 1800 repositories, though many of those are false-positives.
(in particular: Kernel Density Estimation)... so let's assume some fraction of
that. 1000?

--
Aaron J. Seigo