[Kde-pim] Problems with infrastructure

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 11 06:48:51 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 15.27:31 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> It has come to my attention that some developers have "issues" with
> KDE infrastructure in certain areas. This is the first time i've heard

I suspect the issues are the same ones that led us to experiment with gitlab a
while back. Christian's response seems to back that up.

A modern, consistent, unified, user-friendly interface to the source lifecycle
of a project is pretty desirable. Github and the like have really set people's
expectations there pretty high. Having a bunch of separate tools with
somewhat-to-less-clunky interfaces, each with their own individual learning
curves is just not very attractive when Github sits there shiny and usable.
It's also what more and more new developers get to know through their first
experiences.

Whether gerrit is a useful too or not, another separate tool won't bring the
desired changes. It's an attempt to answer a rather different question,
actually.

I don't know if it matters to KDE or not, but if appealing to new generations
of developers and keeping existing ones as happy as possible is a goal[1],
then it would make a lot of sense to orchestrate a move to something that
provides such a "github-like" experience, even if it has other drawbacks.
Those drawbacks probably don't matter as much. If they did, github wouldn't be
thriving quite as much as it does.

[1] thinking that it "would be nice" or "that would be a good idea" does not
make it a goal

--
Aaron J. Seigo