Proposal to improving KDE Software Repository Organization

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Tue Aug 19 22:39:54 BST 2014

On Tue, August 19, 2014 10:18:17 David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2014 19:10:14 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > The old kf5-qt5 / latest-qt4 names are being mapped to division /
> > track combinations. They are otherwise not used.
>
> Ah!
>
> > Just a clarification though: there would only be two divisions for the
> > above scenario: Plasma5 and KF5.
> > Plasma5 would then have two tracks: stable and devel. KF5 would have
> > it's single track.
>
> Ah!
>
> OK it's a lot clearer to me now.
>
> I thought a division was an overall selection of everything
> (like kf5-qt5 was).
> Now I see, it's a group of modules, e.g. just KF5, or just Plasma5.
> This makes a lot more sense, and leads to understandable naming, I like it
> :)
>
> I assume a future kdesrc-buildrc will look like a selection of *one or many*
> divisions, with a track for each one, then.

Yes, and branch groups simply become a "pre-tested" set of divisions (I would
imagine it simply defines the various combinations CI would test in the
future, though that concept is still up to Ben).

In the kdesrc-build world you'd still be able to pick divisions (and tracks),
individual modules, etc.

There's two feasible ways to go with the "branch-group" option though: It is
used to pick the right branch or track if not specified, or it is used as CI
would use it, to pull in an entire set of divisions in one fell swoop. I'm
open to other ideas, but that's a topic for a separate thread in any event.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne