Fwd: looking for phonon gstreamer maintainer

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Sep 30 09:31:16 BST 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Weng Xuetian <wengxt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be easier to make phonon-gstreamer to use QtGstreamer and hence
> also make someone to maintain QtGstreamer?

No.
Maintaining two things is more work than maintaining one ;)

On top of that there are no real synergies between the two softwares.
Yes they both abstract GStreamer, however QtGStreamer really just
abstracts the glib/c wiring and replaces it with Qt/cpp wiring whereas
Phonon GStreamer entirely abstracts the API. So, Phonon GStreamer
could utilize QtGstreamer but all we would get from that is (as a
Phonon GStreamer developer) a more convenient API to work with. Other
than that it doesn't bring anything to the table as Phonon GStreamer
still needed to do what it does now, which is abstracting the API.

^ This is actually why we did not pick up QtGstreamer when it was
first released, it would be abstraction stacking without gain.

HS

P.S. I am a fan of abstracting abstractions regardless :P