Adopting AppData in KDE?

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 16:18:19 GMT 2013

On Nov 5, 2013 12:49 PM, "Weng Xuetian" <wengxt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, November 04, 2013 08:58:22 PM Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On 4 November 2013 20:56, Weng Xuetian <wengxt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Some questions:
> > > 1. What about non-application case?
> >
> > In GNOME we only consider an application to have a desktop file
> > without NoDisplay=true. That's probably a desktop-level choice tho.
> It's not about NoDisplay, plasmoids is a kind of widgets on KDE desktop,
it
> also use desktop file to store metadata, though it's not sit in
> share/applications but some kde private folder. But each small widget is
like
> an small application.
>
> What I care is a app center doesn't only have application, it somehow
should
> contains plugin to other application, for example, a browser plugin, a
widget
> on desktop. And it makes sense if they don't have desktop file.
>
> Can AppData handle such case?

Would it make sense to have this explicitly defined in the spec?  An
application can list itself as supporting certain add-on categories, and an
add-on can identify itself as belonging to one or more such categories.

So, for example plasma workspaces could accept widgets, wallpapers,
runners, desktop effects, kwin scripts, shells, etc.

Then the app center could provide a way to list all add-ons of a particular
type for a particular app. How this would be represented would depend on
the app center implementation.

It wouldn't strictly be necessary for the application to explicitly define
its add-on categories, but doing so guarantees naming is consistent. For
example it avoids some apps using widget, some using applet, and some using
plasmoid.

I know the android play store has something like this as well, where an
application can open a special limited play store that only lists add-ons
for itself, add-ons that may or may not be listed separately in the play
store as well.  I don't know the details of how this is decided by the app,
though.