Adopting AppData in KDE?

Weng Xuetian wengxt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 21:29:05 GMT 2013

On Monday, November 04, 2013 08:58:22 PM Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 4 November 2013 20:56, Weng Xuetian <wengxt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some questions:
> > 1. What about non-application case?
>
> In GNOME we only consider an application to have a desktop file
> without NoDisplay=true. That's probably a desktop-level choice tho.
It's not about NoDisplay, plasmoids is a kind of widgets on KDE desktop, it
also use desktop file to store metadata, though it's not sit in
share/applications but some kde private folder. But each small widget is like
an small application.

What I care is a app center doesn't only have application, it somehow should
contains plugin to other application, for example, a browser plugin, a widget
on desktop. And it makes sense if they don't have desktop file.

Can AppData handle such case?

> > 2. What if an application doesn't actually have an window, or a big enough
> > window can be put in screenshot? Like a minimal media player stay in tray.
>
> I guess do the best you can and use the stock KDE fonts, wallpapers
> and that kind of thing wherever possible.

appdata-validate is preferable minimum size  is about 600px, I guess an 22px
tray icon isn't visible enough on that.

Is it possible for an application not providing any screenshot?

Regards,
Xuetian