Adopting AppData in KDE?

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Nov 4 10:48:21 GMT 2013

On Sunday 03 November 2013 12:49:52 henry miller wrote:
> Let me rewritte the above into a FAQ format:
> Q: Why does KDE not ship appdata files
> A: the maintainers of appdata have admited they have no interest in
> standards, thus KDE has no formal ability to get things we need changed.
> In addition while appdata claims to be distribution/gnome, it really is a
> Fedora thing and few other distribution packages use it, thus violating
> KDEs no patches for on distribution only.
>
> Is appdata good or bad? I say bad, not on technial grounds, but social: the
> effort to standardise something that should be standardised was not done.
> It meets Fedoras needs, but what about debian?  What about netbed.  What
> about... Yes standardization is a lot of effort, that is because getting a
> good compromise for everyone is hard.
>
> KDE should in my opinion refuse appdata in hopes that the next time someone
> has a great idea they remember appdata failed (or took too long to catch
> on) because it failed presue standardization early.  If someone has a
> better idea how to stop developers from this anti-social behavor I'm open
> to it so I can consider appdata on technial merits like it should be.

I must be blind because I don't see any anti-social behavior here.

Richard wanted to do an AppStore like thingy for GNOME, so he did. Once it is
more or les stable he comes to our mailing list to offer us join the party, and
he has been open to changes and feedback. This is imho quite socially good.

Besides, Muon is already using appdata (or will be), and Muon developers have
been already talking with Richard.