Adopting AppData in KDE?

henry miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Nov 3 18:49:52 GMT 2013

Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

>Please don't portray me as a modern-day highwayman as I'm really just
>trying to build an awesome application installer for GNOME. It's two
>orders of magnitude harder to actually write a shared standard and ask
>other desktops to adopt it (making changes as required) rather than a
>quick hack that just works with one desktop on one distribution.

Let me rewritte the above into a FAQ format:
Q: Why does KDE not ship appdata files
A: the maintainers of appdata have admited they have no interest in standards, thus KDE has no formal ability to get things we need changed.  In addition while appdata claims to be distribution/gnome, it really is a Fedora thing and few other distribution packages use it, thus violating KDEs no patches for on distribution only.

Is appdata good or bad? I say bad, not on technial grounds, but social: the effort to standardise something that should be standardised was not done.  It meets Fedoras needs, but what about debian?  What about netbed.  What about... Yes standardization is a lot of effort, that is because getting a good compromise for everyone is hard.

KDE should in my opinion refuse appdata in hopes that the next time someone has a great idea they remember appdata failed (or took too long to catch on) because it failed presue standardization early.  If someone has a better idea how to stop developers from this anti-social behavor I'm open to it so I can consider appdata on technial merits like it should be.