Adopting AppData in KDE?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 13:50:05 GMT 2013

On 3 November 2013 13:30, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Assuming KDE did that, then we would end up with a situation where you can't
> easily install Krita in distributions that ship GNOME, and you can't easily
> install Inkscape in distributions that ship KDE.

I don't think that's true at all. Krita and Inkscape are two of the
killer apps I'd love to feature more prominently in GNOME Software.

> Quality control should happen at the packager level.

I don't agree. Packages are just an implementation detail, as
gnome-software supports webapps and will soon support other staticly
linked packages like listaller and glick2.

> distributions should make the choice which application is good enough for
> their users, not a desktop environment.

I know for a fact that a lot of the GNOME developers use and love a
lot of KDE software, so I don't know why there is any kind of issue
here.

> Of course this is your decision though.
> Or it does not become mainstream; then you will end up excluding a lot of
> high-quality applications for no reason (think e.g. Blender).

Blender already has an AppData file in fedora-appstream, which has
also been submitted upstream for the next release.

Richard