Downtime Notification: Git and Subversion

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Mar 27 01:50:42 GMT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Stephane MANKOWSKI
<stephane at mankowski.fr> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Stephane,

> I don't know if this is linked, but now, when I use "releaseme" to build a
> tar file, I have an error during the git clone.
>
> Example:
> If I launche:
>
> git clone --branch master --depth 1 git at git.kde.org:skrooge
>
> I have the following traces:
>
> Cloning into 'skrooge'...
> Enter passphrase for key '/home/s/.ssh/id_dsa':
> fatal: (null) is unknown object
> remote: Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
> fatal: recursion detected in die handler
> remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
> fatal: error in sideband demultiplexer
>
> Do you know what to do to recover this situation?

Thanks for reporting this. I have verified that there are no problems
in the actual repository (at least none that a regular clone or fsck
pick up), and performing this operation against an anongit mirror does
not reproduce the issue.

A quick search for this error message leads to -
http://www.spinics.net/lists/git/msg201191.html
This indicates that it is likely a bug in the protocol exchange
between the Git client and server process, probably exposed by the
newer version of Git (1.8.1.4) we are now running on git.kde.org.

I would suggest running this against anongit.kde.org for now.

I'll also note to the author of releaseme that performing a shallow
clone is quite an expensive way to get a tarball of the sources - both
git.kde.org itself and our anongit mirrors have the archive service
enabled, which is much more efficient for completing this operation.

Shallow clones are unfortunately quite buggy depending on the version
of Git in use (aborting a shallow clone process can often cause hung
processes on the server side for instance, especially when it is done
over http) and are not recommended for use.

> Regards,
> Stephane

Regards,
Ben Cooksley