kdev-python move to extragear -- once more

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Mar 21 11:40:58 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 20 March 2013 20:20:19 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimecres, 20 de març de 2013, a les 10:27:55, Sven Brauch va escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my patch to python [1] was merged recently, so I could start working
> > on porting kdev-python away from the python fork. [2] is a branch
> > which is up-to-date with master and works without the fork, it just
> > links against the system's python 3.4. It's not perfect yet, but
> > neither was the old python 3 support branch. As soon as Python 3.4 is
> > released, this brach will be the default.
> >
> > Since the patch contains (binary and source) incompatible changes, it
> > cannot be backported to python 2. Thus, the python 2 version of the
> > plugin will have to stay with the fork for the remainder of its
> > lifetime.
> >
> > It's not going to get much better than this. If we can't move this to
> > extragear now, then I don't see why we could do it anywhere in the
> > near future. Also there's really nothing more I can do about it now.
> >
> > Please let me know what you think.
>
> I know Pino has voiced a negative opinion about the python 2 fork being in
> there, and he obviously should be heard, but i'd like to listen more
> opinions in particular the ones of the extragear-kdevelop "module" (Aleix?
> Milian?).
>
> I mean what can't be fixed, can't be fixed. At the end if Pino thinks the
> python 2 fork is insecure he's always free to not package it in Debian.

I think I never explicitly stated my opinion in this thread: +1 from my side
in moving this forward, esp. considering that Sven did everything in his power
to improve the situation. Considering that the stuff is even accepted upstream
finally we can look forward to a bright future.

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de