kdev-python move to extragear -- once more

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Mar 20 19:20:19 GMT 2013

El Dimecres, 20 de març de 2013, a les 10:27:55, Sven Brauch va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> my patch to python [1] was merged recently, so I could start working
> on porting kdev-python away from the python fork. [2] is a branch
> which is up-to-date with master and works without the fork, it just
> links against the system's python 3.4. It's not perfect yet, but
> neither was the old python 3 support branch. As soon as Python 3.4 is
> released, this brach will be the default.
>
> Since the patch contains (binary and source) incompatible changes, it
> cannot be backported to python 2. Thus, the python 2 version of the
> plugin will have to stay with the fork for the remainder of its
> lifetime.
>
> It's not going to get much better than this. If we can't move this to
> extragear now, then I don't see why we could do it anywhere in the
> near future. Also there's really nothing more I can do about it now.
>
> Please let me know what you think.

I know Pino has voiced a negative opinion about the python 2 fork being in
there, and he obviously should be heard, but i'd like to listen more opinions
in particular the ones of the extragear-kdevelop "module" (Aleix? Milian?).

I mean what can't be fixed, can't be fixed. At the end if Pino thinks the
python 2 fork is insecure he's always free to not package it in Debian.

Opinions?

Cheers,
  Albert