K(Abstract)FileItemActionPlugin

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 20 12:45:42 BST 2013

Hi Frank,

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:39:00 Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> 2013/6/20 Sebastian Kügler:
> > Hi Frank,
> >
> > On Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:51:58 Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> >> Moreover, I will from now on:
> >>
> >> (a) Close all "Dolphin freezes/crashes/formats my hard drive when
> >> right-clicking a file" bug reports immediately, unless the bug
> >> descrition states that the issue persists when all plugins are
> >> disabled, and
> >
> > Just closing such a bugreport will leave the reporter puzzled and
> > dismayed.
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I never close a bug report without
> providing a detailed explanation.

Ah, then I misunderstood you, fortunately. I got the impression that you'd
just close it to get it out of sight. Good to know better. :)

> > Why not just ask to reproduce with plugins disabled, then enable plugin
> > for
> > plugin, and reassign the bug accordingly?
>
> I've tried that often enough. Most bug reporters never respond.
> Therefore, I think it's better to close the report and ask the
> reporter to reopen if he/she can provide useful information.

That's exactly what we have the NEEDSINFO flag for, or does this usecase not
apply here?

> >> (b) If anything as bad as the Activities issue ever happens again, and
> >> the plugin developer refuses to respond to bug reports for more than
> >> one or two weeks, I will prevent that this plugin is loaded in
> >> Dolphin, and I won't care if anyone says that I shouldn't do it
> >> because it's an ugly workaround.
> >
> > Let's assume we can do better, and not spew threats around on mailing
> > lists. That's not going to help, and most likely, any new case will be
> > different enough to warrant at least some communication around it.
>
> IMHO, reassignig bug reports and asking for the developer's feedback
> *is* communication. But if you think that this isn't enough, I can
> also send a message to a suitable mailing list (if the plugin has one)
> if I think that the situation is so bad that something must be done
> urgently.

Again, misunderstanding here. You didn't write reassign, I thought you wanted
to just pop in some code that effectively disabled or breaks that plugin, and
done. Again, glad to know better.

Cheers and thanks for the clarification,
--
sebas