Techbase: schedules for playground and extragear

Peter Grasch me at bedahr.org
Wed Jun 5 17:17:11 BST 2013

On 06/05/2013 02:10 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>
> wrote:
>> The idea is to have a centralized point of information for all
>> the software, of course if maintainers ignore the page it won't
>> work. I'd rather have people care about the page than delete it,
>> but as making people care is hard, sure go ahead and kill it.
>>

> It's quite hard to care about something you've never heard of.
Yes, that's also what I was thinking. I didn't even know that those
two pages existed until I stumbled upon them by googling "extragear
release schedule"; Google even tells you that the next release of K3b
is going to be on "1 March 2010" right in the search results. :/

Personally, I struggle to find a usecase these pages would be helpful
for. The sites itself identify say that they're for "users and
contributers" but I doubt many users would track release dates on
techbase. And contributers will have to get in touch with the packages
maintainers anyway as they'll usually need to know more than a row in
a table will be able to tell them.

Albert: I don't think the pages are abandoned because developers are
shying away from the extra work but rather because they are simply
superfluous.

> There is not a single link on techbase to that page (
> http://techbase.kde.org/Special:WhatLinksHere/Schedules/Extragear).
That

is weird because the main schedule page most definitely links to
both pages:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules

Best regards,
Peter