Old compatibility feature in KTabBar causing problems.

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:34:35 BST 2013

On Mittwoch, 31. Juli 2013 12:03:12 CEST, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> My guess would be that it is up to the application. If the
> applications does
> not want MMB drag, e.g. because it wants to use MMB for
> something else, then
> it should be able to deactivate that.

I would object this from a HIG POV.

Reason:
you'll have 5 applications that move the tabbar on MMB and 5 that perform a (destructive) close on it.

To users, pressing MMB on a tab becomes like Russian roulette for unknown scenarios and a "dangerous" habit for known scenarios (you usually use MMB to move a tab and once a while "accidentally" do so in the "wrong" application)

The only reasonable behavior strategy becomes to simply not use the MMB on tabs ever.

Leaving aside whether it's any reasonable to perform a close operation on MMB (probably a Windows thing, given MMB is traditionally used for CNP on X11 - i'd rather expect browsers to paste the clipboard (url) into the tab), i'd recommend to encourage one common behavior in all applications.

This might be to move (if supported) on LMB and close (if supported) on MMB click.
It might as well be to declare closing on MMB a KDE HIG violation.
It might also be to move on MMB and close on MMB click (though that sounds silly)

But whatever it is, it should be equal behavior in equal scenarios (tabbed widgets)

Cheers,
Thomas