KF5 Update Meeting Minutes 2013-w31

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Jul 31 01:20:12 BST 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> On terça-feira, 30 de julho de 2013 17:21:00, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> >  * apol merged his changes to use QFontsDatabase instead of
> KGlobalSettings;
> > * he is now looking into moving KStringHandler::naturalCompare to Qt;
>
> We discussed this and we think QCollator already solves the problem. There
> may
> be nothing for apol to do.
>
> Except, maybe, figure out what to do with QCollator. This is a class that
> definitely needs ICU and we're not sure whether we can rely on it on all
> platforms. We may need to move the class to another module. See discussion
> in
> the Qt development ML.
>
> --
>    Software Architect - Intel Open Source Technology Center
>       PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
>       E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Hi Thiago,
I'm aware of the discussions, if I haven't done anything yet is because I'm
waiting and trying to understand what's going on exactly. I understand that
you see this problem as sorted, but from our side QCollator is not public
API (I know there's a rotting review request that changes that, but that's
all for the moment).

Also I see that there's a naturalCompare method within QFileSystemModel
that isn't using QCollator and discussions with big concerns on the
possibility to distribute ICU.

I'd be more than happy if I could wait and see, but also I don't understand
why it's being suggested to make ICU such a public API when there are
concerns of it being a good fit.

*TLDR, I'll try and see if I can help in any way to find a good solution.

Aleix