Proposal for branching policy towards KF5

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jul 18 09:26:06 BST 2013

Hi all, especially workspace and frameworks hackers,

Based on our earlier discussion, I'd like to propose the following strategy as
a general way to move kde-workspace and related modules (such as kdeplasma-
adddons, etc.) to KF5 gradually:

- master stays on 4.11, receives bugfixes, our releases are based on this
  branch and their version number will stay 4.11
- KDE/4.11 gets regular merges from master to avoid mistakes when people use
  it instead of master
- We create a branch called frameworks and use that for Frameworks
  development. It depends on Qt5 and KF5
- master is being merged into frameworks regularly (we have multiple
  volunteers for that(

This keeps the consistency across modules. Whoever wants a Qt4-based build
that works for daily usage builds master -> no change there.

Whoever builds atop KF5/Qt5 builds from frameworks branch. We use frameworks
as branch name for this across all modules that we move -> nobody has to check
which branch in a given module has the actual frameworks build.

We can apply this same policy to other modules that we make work atop KF5.
Having a branching policy for those makes it easier to parallelize development
further.

In order to prevent confusion, we can merge master into 4.11 regularly, since
there will not be any non-bugfix commits in there anyway. This merge will be
trivial to do. We merge master into frameworks regularly to not lose bugfixes
for PW2.

I've gone through the email thread, and it's my understanding that this would
satisfy our needs. I might have missed something, so: Does this work for
everybody?

Cheers,
--
sebas