KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Tue Jul 16 00:29:47 BST 2013

On Monday 15 Jul 2013 09:46:49 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2013 17:48:50 David Jarvie wrote:
> > best of intentions) for old habits to take over and to accidentally use
> > master again. This happened to me more than once.
>
> So  how can we make that clearer for people and hard for this sort of mistake
> to be made?
>
> Here’s a possible idea: we could make the build fail (along with a relevant
> message on console) unless a specific env var or a cmake option is passed. If
> it doesn’t build, you probably won’t end up using it, and hopefullya build
> failure gets noticed.

I think that would answer my concerns. As long as there is clarity (e.g. through the build failing), it doesn't matter too much if a 'non-standard' branch is used instead of master. Best would be to display an explicit message when the build fails, saying that the KDE/4.11 (or whatever) branch is the correct one to use.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.