KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Jul 10 14:12:41 BST 2013

On Wed, July 10, 2013 1:19 pm, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 July 2013 01:25:06 Andras Mantia wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:45:39 PM Martin Graesslin wrote:
>> > * master is opened for feature development and will lead to Plasma
>> > Workspaces  2 (or whatever the release will be called in the end).
>>
>> Does this mean that kde-workspace in master will exists, but with a
>> different content (and I assume unstable)?
> we have not yet talked about which branch we use. But just because we
> switch to Qt 5 doesn't mean it will become unstable ;-)
>> Does it mean the KDE 4.11 branch of kde-workspace will be needed even
>> for "master" users (or for KDE >4.11)?
> master is just a name one specifies in kdesrc-buildrc ;-) I don't think
> that
> this really matters to anyone except the developers of kde-workspace. And
> if we do important changes I'm sure e.g. Aaron will blog about it.

For those who don't use kdesrc-build, knowing which branch to use does
matter. kdesrc-buildrc and blogging are fine, but there needs to be an
simple way later on to know which branch to use, without having to search
through config files which you don't have a copy of, or past blogs.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.