Releases in 3 months

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue Jul 9 14:17:23 BST 2013

On 2013-07-08, Àlex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:

I'm going to provide a handful of replies, each dealing with different
aspects of this - hopefully I will post them all over the next couple of
days. I will try to keep them short.

So. first one.

> Basically the idea is to cut testing time and compensate it by keeping master
> always in a "releaseable" state, now that two major components are frozen it
> looks like it is a good time to get used to it.

I once learned by a guy who was trying to make his moped go faster that
one should always only adjust one thing at a time, to figure out if the
one thing you do has the effect you want. Adjusting several things at
once makes it hard to figure out what actually was the reason behind it.

I kind of agree with that, and thun I think it is a bad idea to adjust
several factors at the same time. one is switching to a 'always summer
in trunk'-approach. Another is switching the release frequency. Doing
both at once makes it hard to see if one is wrongly thought thru.  So if
we are going forward with this, i would suggest to just move forward
with 'always summer in trunk' for a while and then later look at release
frequency, if it turns out that we can work with "always summer in
trunk".

That's all for now. I hope my remaining mails can be kept as short.

/Sune