Releases in 3 months

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Jul 9 12:32:30 BST 2013

>From my point of view, 3 month releases are going to actually increase
quality. At least in Nepomuk.

The Nepomuk developers (me included) have often merged feature
branches right before the feature freeze even if the branch has some
problems. No one wants to wait 8 months (2 months for the current
release, and 6 months for the next) for the users to get the feature
they are working quite hard on.

The end result is that certain things aren't always polished, and the
user experience suffers. With 3 month releases one can actually take a
decision and delay the feature by about 4-5 months, which is still
reasonable. 8 months is just too long to wait.

Additionally, with these 3 month releases I am more inclined to
release improvements for Nepomuk in 4.12. If 4.12 is supposed to be
released in January, I won't be working on any new features. I'll
start focusing on KF5, and the role Nepomuk will play over there.
Effectively making 4.11 the last release for Nepomuk as well.

--
Vishesh Handa