openSUSE packagers' take on the 3 month release cycle

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Tue Jul 9 11:33:21 BST 2013

On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 12:05:30 PM Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> On Monday 08 July 2013 22:01:29 Andrea Scarpino wrote:
> > We don't just run a sed rule on each spec (pkgbuild, in my case) file. We
> > check for new dependencies (resp. dependencies not needed anymore), new
> > modules (resp. modules not part of the SC anymore), build failure, etc...
>
> Can't we do something so you don't have to hunt this down but instead just
> read a list?
>
> For build time dependencies, we could do something by looking for
> find_package, and for runtime dependencies we should figure something out.
>
> Our projects are a mess when it comes to runtime dependencies, why don't we
> fix that for example?

How would a run time only dependency be expressed?  I've seen some people put
them in find_package, which is wrong and then we end up having to patch it
away.

For build-time dependencies, particularly determining minimum version
requirements, I end up reading CMakeLists.txt in my favorite editor.  That's
not ideal either.

Scott K