openSUSE packagers' take on the 3 month release cycle

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Tue Jul 9 11:03:30 BST 2013

On Monday 08 July 2013 20:35:22 Luca Beltrame wrote:
> (apologies for breaking your threading, but I'm not subscribed to k-c-d; in
> fact, please CC me with replies, thanks!)
>
> Currently, the people working on openSUSE packages are against the proposal.
> A detailed explanation follows.
>
> First and foremost, the KDE packaging in openSUSE is almost completely
> community driven. This means that most of the work is done by volounteers
> which handle what they can in their (limited) time. Faster releases may mean
> worse packaging and increased maintenance (and I think this is also an
> issue w/most non rolling distros).
Well, KDE is also ran by volunteers doing what they can in their limited time.
If we can achieve 3 month releases, meaning developing features, promo, i18n,
etc I'm sure you can package it as well.

My question to you (all distro people) is, what can we do to help? and what is
more interesting, what can you do, distro people, to help yourselves?

I see at least a duplicated effort across all distros which is
"adding/figuring out" new dependencies. Can't we coordinate on that so
everybody life is easier?

Also, what can we do, upstream to make this happen? so far what I read in this
thread is "This doesn't work perfectly for us, -1", what I'd love to read is a
"This as it is won't work for us, but if we do X and Y and Z, maybe we can do
it".

Cheers.