openSUSE packagers' take on the 3 month release cycle

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Tue Jul 9 06:34:15 BST 2013

In data lunedì 08 luglio 2013 21:55:28, hai scritto:

> From total ignorace, how much time do you need to change a 4.12 to a 4.13 in
> a spec file? What is consuming your time doing a packaging of a new
> release?

Major releases:

These require more work, rather obviously, although a small number of us
tracks master so we usually "experiment" with packages before pushing them
down to users. The points raised by Scott K mostly apply, it requires a number
of by hand adjustments to the package "templates" and then feed them to the
Open Build Service, wait till they're built, check for errors and warnings,
rinse and repeat.

In addition, patches we ship that are not upstreamed may need rebasing, or may
need to get dropped, etc.

Splitting of course adds more work to ensure that files end up in the right
package and not on Mars. Also, when we add packages to the main distro (as
opposed to 3rd party repos which we also offer), if there are new additions
like services, KAuth helpers, etc., they must go through security review,
which takes a long time (already existing stuff doesn't matter, this is only
for new things).

Minor releases:

Minor releases (except when splitting is involved) are usually less work-
intensive, although the matter with patches etc needs to be evaluated each
time. In the easiest case, it's just a matter of waiting for the OBS to churn
out packages.

Hopefully this is more clear.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team