Disable by default KRandR in 4.11

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jul 8 18:49:29 BST 2013

El Dilluns, 8 de juliol de 2013, a les 15:10:06, Àlex Fiestas va escriure:
> On Thursday 04 July 2013 21:39:03 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > I agree we are too late.
> >
> > If KScreen is so much better, i'd make sure packagers know about it and
> > they can install KScreen and not KRandR if they want, even provide
> > replaces/conflicts rules.
> >
> > But since we are 5 days away from "Release Candidate" day, don't think
> > removing (or disabling) something from kde-workspace is a good idea.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >   Albert
> >
> > > Cheers !
>
> Have you taken into account that kde-workspace will be frozen starting in
> 4.11 so this is our only chance of removing deprecated/not supported/not
> working well software?

I have, I've also taken into account that if you remove it we will be shipping
a workspace with no software at all to configure your screens for a long time.

Ok, there's a different software that works better, but this one seems to work
for some people (or at least won't kill their puppies) and the other one is
distributed in an "extra" tarball.

> If you have, and you still haven't changed your mind, I will do the
> following if everybody is ok with it:
>
> -Add a README in KRandR folder warning that the software is known to be not
> working well, and that they should use kscreen

"known for not working well" seems like a bit of FUD, if there's known errata,
we should explain the cases in which it doesn't work. Because I'm using it and
works for my use case so "known for not working well" is too broad and fear-
creating.

> -Add a warning in the release notes, somewhere.
> -Send an email to kde-packagers
> -Anything more?

That works for me

Cheers,