Releases in 3 months

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Mon Jul 8 15:26:00 BST 2013

Le lundi 8 juillet 2013 16:11:05 Frank Reininghaus a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> 2013/7/8 Àlex Fiestas:
> > Now that kde-workspace and kdelibs are going to be frozen (which in theory
> > means less work for everybody) I'd like to propose a new release schedule
> > to be applied starting with 4.12.
> >
> > Basically the idea is to cut testing time and compensate it by keeping
> > master always in a "releaseable" state, now that two major components are
> > frozen it looks like it is a good time to get used to it.
> >
> > You can read all the proposal in:
> > http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/ReleasesProposal
> >
> > Before sending this email I have checked with distro people, i18n people,
> > other developers and almost all of them seemed to either like or be
> > neutral
> > about it (only one exception :p) so I hope that the proposal is not a
> > complete disaster.
> >
> > As its name indicates, it is a proposal, so please be constructive in the
> > feedback, we can change as many things as we need.
>
> I like the idea (from the Dolphin development point of view). Most of
> the changes that went into master during the past months had already
> been tested rather well before they were merged, and the remaining
> regressions were found rather quickly by people who use the master
> branch a lot. Therefore, it would have been nice if some of the
> improvements could have been shipped to users sooner - quite a few
> bugs that had been fixed in master (with patches that were IMHO too
> intrusive for the 4.10 branch) months ago were reported again and
> again.
>
> @Laurent:you say that you have "a lot of features to implement", and
> that this would not be possible with a shorter release schedule. But
> wouldn't it be possible to implement some of the features for the next
> version and the rest for the one after that?

> If you think that you
> need more time to stabilize a feature in the master branch, then maybe
> developing the feature in a separate branch and merge it once it's
> finished might be a good idea?

No it’s not a good idea because nobody tests branch you can see pb that we had
when we merge akonadi branch (last big changes).
So no develop in branch will just create more bugs.

And same question: why reduce time by 2 ?

What we will have as result ? Ok in january with will release 4.14 great, so
it’s right we will never release a so big number of kde but don’t know if it’s
a good idea to run after number...

And when we reduce time for example for 4.12 which finish in october, for me
for example I have 2 weeks of vacations => dev == 1 month 1/2 ! Great for
create features...

Kdelibs and kdebase frozen is good for kdelibs/kdebase dev but it will not
impact on kdepim...

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090