Disable by default KRandR in 4.11

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jul 4 20:39:03 BST 2013

El Dijous, 4 de juliol de 2013, a les 01:06:27, Àlex Fiestas va escriure:
> Hi there

Hi

> I want to propose to disable by default KRandR from kde-workspace release
> for 4.11.
>
> While I'm considered the maintainer of KRandR truth is I have never been
> it, I just made it "work" around 4.7 times but it is still full of bugs and
> annoyances.
> Since we have KScreen (which tomorrow I will propose for Extragear) which
> almost all distributions are shipping I see no point on keeping KRandR
> around, specially in 4.11 that will be the last release of 4.11.
>
> KScreen is rock solid, it has two maintainers taking care of it, it is way
> more advanced and complete than KRandR and it is trusted enough so
> distributions like RHEL are going to ship it.
>
> Ideally I would like to remove the source code completely, but I guess we
> are too late into 4.11 to do such thing.

I agree we are too late.

If KScreen is so much better, i'd make sure packagers know about it and they
can install KScreen and not KRandR if they want, even provide
replaces/conflicts rules.

But since we are 5 days away from "Release Candidate" day, don't think
removing (or disabling) something from kde-workspace is a good idea.

Cheers,
  Albert