Color Management in KDE

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Tue Jan 22 16:50:14 GMT 2013

On Monday 21 January 2013 21:22:42 John Layt wrote:
> My big concern is that KDE is sleep-walking into a hodge-podge
> solution with little co-ordination on implementations and dependencies, and
> little knowledge of the implications of the decisions being made.  I've
> tried to come up with a logical pragmatic solution within the usual KDE
> standards and architecture, but I am not a CM expert so if you feel that
> I've got anything wrong or misunderstood the situation please don't
> hesitate to call me on it.

Hello John

Thank you very much for a very clear exposition of the concepts and of the
situation.

A few questions, just to complete my understanding:
- is it possible that, from an integrated KDE p.o.v., having the support
provided in kwin and in the (to be fully revived) printing infrastructure,
would free apps from the need to directly address this issue?

I guess I understand that a very color-conscient application (like, say,
krita), will need to correctly support CM internally, particularly if the app
is used outside an integrated KDE session. But then, is there conflict when
both the application and the wm try to manage color?

- you mention a few hypothetical developments (especially in relation with
Qt5). Do you have direct information on the plans? Or, in other words, what is
the perceived probability that your future-projections could be defeated by
predictible developer-opinion/development-direction changes?

Thanks a lot.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org