Plans for SVN infrastructure shutdown

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Jan 20 22:53:04 GMT 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Ben Cooksley wrote:
>>
>> Hi Oswald,
>>

>>> this whole thing ignores that svn is still simply the better option for
>>> certain types of content - multimedia data in particular.
>>
>> Correct. We'll keep an eye on Git's progress in this area to see if
>> anything workable comes up.
>> If nothing does, we will adjust our plans as needed at the appropriate
>> stage of the plan.
>
> Does the rollback plan include also troubles or problems or bad feedback from
> translators? The plan only says:

The plan has been fully discussed with the translations co-ordinator,
Albert Astals Cid.

> "The only exception are the translations. These will continue to happen via
> subversion, but this will use the gitolite software as backend, in any case,
> this will result in only minor changes for translators."
>
> Can you please elaborate more about those changes? I haven't seen no
> discussion on the relevant mailing list. I miss last Akademy as well, so maybe
> it was discussed there, but it would be better to know what's going on before
> it's too late

The change will consist of a single, one-time execution of "svn switch
--relocate" which translators will need to perform if they make
commits.
This was not discussed at Akademy, but on IRC in #kde-sysadmin.

>>> of course git could be hacked to Not Suck for such content (fully
>>> functional shallow and narrow clones, lazy fetching, etc.), but to my
>>> knowledge this has not happend yet (i make no claim to being fully
>>> up-to-date).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ben

Regards,