KDEREVIEW: Mangonel

Bart Kroon bart at tarmack.eu
Tue Jan 8 22:22:32 GMT 2013

Hello List,

On Tuesday 08 January 2013 23:12:01 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimarts, 8 de gener de 2013, a les 21:08:11, Martin Sandsmark va
escriure:
> > Dear Sirs and Madams,
> >
> > Mangonel has just been moved to KDE Review.
> >
> > Mangonel is a simple and lightweight application launcher in the vein of
> > Katapult from ye olde KDE 3 days, kind of reminiscent of the "task
> > oriented" UI for krunner, but dropping the slow krunner architecture in
> > favour of a simpler and more straightforward one that aims to give
> > immediate feedback to the user. So it doesn't do everything krunner does,
> > but should be useful for some people as either an alternative to or
> > complement to krunner.
> >
> > It was originally developed by Bart Kroon, but he is currently too busy to
> > work on it, so I got a go-ahead from him to clean it up for a proper
> > release with licenses and stuff (which I think it needs because it's
> > pretty useful and should be spread far and wide).
>
> Which is its intended destination extragear-something?
>
> Any reason not to use bugs.kde.org?
It was not in KDE so it did not use bugs.kde.org. This would be appropriate
when it is adopted obviously.

> The i18n is quite broken, a simple grep gives me
> ./Config.cpp:39:    this->setWindowTitle(KApplication::instance()-
>
> >applicationName() + QString(" - Configuration"));
>
> ./Config.cpp:48:    QLabel* hotkeyLabel = new QLabel("Shortcut to show
> Mangonel:", this);
> ./Mangonel.cpp:74:    m_actionShow = new KAction(QString("Show Mangonel"),
> this);
> ./Mangonel.cpp:92:    QAction* actionConfig = new
> QAction(KIcon("configure"), "Configuration", this);
> ./Mangonel.cpp:480:        m_descriptionLabel = new QGraphicsTextItem("(" +
> application.type + ")", this);
Translations are indeed not a thing this program currently supports. There are
not too many strings in there so this should not pose to much of a problem.

> Besides all those units in units.c seem untranslatable.
>
> Any reason for not using kunitconversion in there?
I didn't know about this. This seems appropriate.

> Also the units.c copytight header looks a bit scary
This was realy a quick hack add on that still needs a propper implementation.
It doesn't even work properly as it is now.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

- Bart