plasma and new shadow mess

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 7 10:03:24 GMT 2013

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 17:01:06 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Sunday 06 January 2013 16:37:47 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > btw, these changes were made in mid-November of 2012. i'm a little
> > surprised people are only noticing now.
>
> maybe because the hard feature freeze was on November 8th and nobody expects
> that they need to adjust their applications after the hard feature freeze?

my point was that apparently people have neither tested or noticed for nearly
2 months. it's a surprising result.

> And now it's really, really late to fix these issues.

perhaps. i personally don't think it is too late given the trivial nature of
the changes needed to make it happen due to having code that has been tested
for a couple releases now that can be repurposed (the code in use is NOT new
to 4.10)

btw, we would have patches done already if we took the time writing these
emails and instead spent it writing those patches. it's not rocket science or
invasive type changes.

> shall be fixed" based on experience what last minute changes which cannot
> be properly tested can cause issues in a compositor. So no, in KWin that
> won't be fixed for 4.10.

i respect that this is your call to make as kwin maintainer.

> Overall I'm rather disappointed on how the situation came up and how it is
> handled now.

me too. i'll discuss this on the plasma-devel list as i believe that is where
this discussion belongs.

> It's not too late to revert the change and do it for 4.11 in a
> coordinated way that doesn't require rushed in changes.

a reversion is not going to happen at this point. it is the proper way to do
the shadows (one that relies on window manager functionality which kwin has
thankfully provided for quite some time now; i'm a bit surprised that of all
applications, kwin was doing shadows incorrectly for its own windows) and it
allows us to use shadows on more elements without breaking the UI in the
desktop. a reversion would likely mean also rolling back some changes in the
Air theme and a bunch of re-testing of the desktop.

--
Aaron J. Seigo